Friday, August 17, 2012

Finding Yellowstone - Sunday

We started Sunday out at another waterfall (without the map I can't say which, and I don't know where Mom's put the map to find oyt). It had a balcony overlook that extended out over the canyon so you could more easily see the falls. I thought it was funny how Dad and Mom wouldn't put their feet closer than 3 feet to the end of the walk even though a high fence stopped any chance of leaning too far out. Granted, you can see in the second image, it was a pretty long way down.



We made our way quickly to Old Faithful, and I thought for a moment we had reached Frontier land at Disneyland. It was so crowded, full of cars, buildings, and people. We had to wait about 13 minutes before the geyser was expected to blow and so we stood and waited in the shade of the trees. Through waiting and watching, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be of the Faithful fountain, and found the old buffalo lying next to it much more entertaining, though all he did was lay there. Unfortunately, even when I got closer to take a picture, there was one man who seemed to move with me and get in my way, directly in my way. After snapping this shot I gave up, I didn't expect to get anything better. But I had finally seen my first wild buffalo.

BUFFALO!

Old Faithful at its peak. Not bad for only lasting 15 seconds.
We visited the lodge-inn for lunch (Dad got a buffalo burger and let me have a bite, tasted like a grass fed cow). Then the general store. My hair was a horrible mess and I'd been wanting a ball cap for months with no success in finding one I liked. With Mom and Dad's help, we searched the store for all the ball caps looking for something. I found a gray one with a raven on it and the words "Raven Lunatic" sprawled across. I had to have it at once. Mom and Dad laughed because it was one of the animals I kept going on and on about (they were almost more common than the buffalo). I bought it and threw it on my head the moment I ripped the tags off, glad to have something covering my messy hair at last. Dad bought ice cream from the crowded shop in the loft of the general store (I got Bison Chip though Moose Tracks and Peppermint Candy were also calling my name). We sat in the truck eating and suddenly Dad pointed to a car next to us and said "Look Lara, your hat." A big raven was staring back as us, hopping all over the cars as it looked for dropped trash.



It was back to geysers and hot springs and now the rain had joined us. We were able to beat the rain to one hot spring area so we could look around. Walking through the vapor was horrible as it smelly profusely of sulfur and was extremely hot and humid; if it had only been smell and heat I would have stood in the steam longer and warmed myself. None of us had thought to prepare for rain and at the second stop, Mom and Dad stayed in the truck as I went off to explore. A small geyser went off as I walked next to it, the only person to see it shoot 15 feet in the air, I felt so privileged. Needless to say, I was soaked by the time I got back in the truck, Dad had the heater running for me and I used my pillowcase (thank goodness I transfer my pillow to the truck every morning) but still felt very cold until the rain finally died down an hour later. We all learned a valuable lesson that afternoon--and not just to bring our jackets whether we'll need them or not--but that we should not go walking to see water landmarks after it rains, the rain wakes up the mosquitoes and you get bit. We were all scratching that night.


Mom loved the textures found in the pools and asked me to take pictures of them. This is one of many.

I loved the rain falling on this pool, the ripples made it look as though the water was vibrating.


 I was impressed by the Yellowstone Canyon, it really was yellow!



The Lower Falls of the Yellowstone Canyon.
As we were driving through the north section of Grand Loop Road, Dad suddenly slowed down and told me to get out my camera. Walking right on the edge of the road was a buffalo! I was so excited, I snapped quite a few pictures (most blurry since he was moving), I could have reached out and touched him, however, don't worry, I kept my hands to myself, in the car, and on my camera. Still it was an amazing experience that I'm thankful for.


After our one buffalo, there were the northern plains (how I imagine Yellowstone) and several herds of buffalo out grazing. As well of herds of cars stopping on the edge and--because the edges were full--middle of the road to take pictures. Let's just say Dad wasn't very happy that evening and Mom and I were just grateful for his quick foot on the brake.


The views are certainly beautiful in Yellowstone.
What better way to end the day than with a ginormous rainbow that spanded the entire Yellowstone Lake? I should know since we drove along its shore back to South Entrance Road and from the moment we saw it, it didn't leave our side until the lake was also out of sight. 


*Dad made a comment to me this evening that I need to read over my posts before uploading them. I know I have a typo problem and this post along had dozens of the. I apologize and will try to be more careful in the future.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I'm really just in it for the pictures (there really are some great ones). Don't worry about it.