Saturday, May 26, 2012

Culinary Creations

This week I have been more adventurous than ever, making 3 things I've never made before on my own; and, surprisingly, they all turned out okay.

First up was corn on the cob. Though, I've shucked corn plenty of times and watched Mom make it in a pot on the stove, I had never been involved in the cooking process. Since corn is such a good deal lately (this week its 3 for a $1), its been easily accessible. So Wednesday night, I shucked me and my roommates corn, attempted to cut it in half and ending up just breaking it in half myself, and boiled it. And it turned out really good! (Sorry no picture for that one.)

The second creation was cheese mushroom quiche. I woke up Thursday morning and said, "What can I make with the mushrooms I bought that isn't an omelet?" Granted a quiche isn't too far from an omelet but it was different. After a short internet search for breakfast foods with mushrooms that didn't require major ingredients that I or my roommates didn't have I found a broccoli and mushroom quiche recipe. Sadly, my broccoli had begun to mold, so that was out, but so make it more interesting than just mushrooms I added some cheddar cheese I had. The only problem was this one was that I shrunk the recipe size so my cooking time was probably off and when I cut into the quiche it was really watery. It tasted cooked so maybe it was just the moisture from the mushrooms? Mom didn't understand why I had so much moisture either, does anyone else know? It didn't have crust so maybe that's the cause?

Cheesey-Mushroom Quiche!

And then this morning I made crepes! I've always wanted to make these before but never had the guts to do it. But while searching for a mushroom recipe Thursday, I found a mushroom crepe recipe. Feeling unprepared for something so entirely new but didn't craving to make them, I saved this adventure for today. Now aside from my Aunt Chris's crepes she made for my cousin's wedding, the best crepes I've even had were Blitzes at Cracker and Co. in Mesa, which had a cream cheese, cottage cheese, and berry puree with a berry sauce and whipped cream on top. Now that's a little crazy for me so I simplified to berry whipped cream cheese mixed with cottage cheese and fresh strawberries and then just topped with powdered sugar. And man were they delicious! The biggest problems I had were my crepes getting a little too crispy and flipping, I don't think my pan is non-stick.


BED HEAD!

This is my roommate Katie, she was the only one home when I made the crepes so she got the first one.


I did get burned a little when I reached a little too high on the handle of my pan, but I'm so happy how these came out and really they were super simple! Note though, I made the batter the night before, its recommended to put the batter in the fridge for an hour so that it can set and you're less likely to get holes, granted I still got holes due to my pour pan-twirling skills.

As it turns out I can cook! Now I just need to work on bigger thinks like fish and steak. But those aren't exactly in my budget...

No comments: